Friday, September 12, 2008

Making the Healthy Choice

You may not always find yourself in a position to make the right choices to stay fit but you can always find a way to make a healthier choice. Maybe the fruit and yogurt you packed for breakfast doesn't look as good as the donut shop you pass on the way to work. If you really feel the need for sweet, add a few chocolate chips to your yogurt. If your regular whole grain cereal is a bore, add a small portion of a sweeter cereal. I find putting together Cheerios (plain) plus some Honey Nut Cheerios takes care of my sweet tooth but still gives me the whole grains I need. At Happy Hour I will try my best to keep my drinking to a minimum and plan on eating dinner as soon as possible rather than overindulge in all the high calorie appetizers. If I absolutely have to have a treat while watching TV, I work on making it something I can easily portion or is already in individual-sized packaging (100 calorie popcorn bags are great). Just today, I went to a luncheon for a fellow employee who was leaving our organization and rather than have a large entree, I ordered a small salad and a delicious appetizer. Both were the right amount of food and very flavorful. Remember, it is about eating the healthiest you can most of the time. Your choices may be limited, but you can choose to make the healthiest decision.

No comments: