Monday, November 3, 2008

Another Way to Control Portions

Janis Jibrin R.D. wrote an article for Men's Health describing how to use your plate to manage portions. Rather than counting calories, divide your plate into two sections. One half if filled with fruits and vegetables and the other half is high-protein foods and starch. This strategy keeps you from having to remember nutritional details or confusing numbers. If you are still hungry after completing your plate, you have more but only of the fruits and vegetables. The reason this method can work is that it is easy and simple to remember. I have been using a similar strategy for a number of years and it has helped me keep the weight off. Because of my small size, I tend to only add starch portions at breakfast and lunch, rarely at dinner. Try this strategy and let me know how it works.

No comments: