Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Is the Six Meal a Day Plan Realistic?

Many of my colleagues in the fitness and health business subscribe to the idea that six small meals a day works better than the standard three meals a day. This mini-meal philosophy may work for bigger folks but for small people like myself (5' 2" on a good day) this seems ridiculous. Based on my height, my age and activity level, if I want to stay within my weight range I would be eating about 1500 -1800 calories per day. If you divide 1800 by 6, you get about 300 calories per mini-meal. For most individuals, this is unrealistic, even if you make breakfast your biggest meal of the day. My gut feeling (no pun intended) is that the health industry does not think that the average American can make it through a couple of hours without putting something in their mouths and so, proposing something different would not work or be dismissed. Yes, there is the need to keep blood sugar up throughout the day but if you balance your main meals correctly, you can make it until the next meal. I am not a nutritionist but I can do the math and I would rather eat bigger and better meals (500-600 calories) three times a day. If there is a need for a snack (usually in the afternoon), then something for under 100 calories plus a good glass of water can extend me until dinner. Let me know what you think as everyone has different preferences.

No comments: