Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Managing Weight While Increasing Protein

Well, it has finally occurred—dreaded weight gain from what I am assuming is an increase in calories due to protein intake.  Lou Schuler suggested not reducing calories immediately and wait to see the results.  Now, my job is to start cutting out “useless” calories.  The first to go will be alcohol.  I have mentioned in my audio posts that I have a cocktail before dinner and that probably adds 150 calories I don’t need.  I have also gotten into the habit of having dried fruit after lunch (rather than other treats such as a cookie) but the sugar in the fruit is high and adds another 100 calories.  So, in a very few actions, I have reduced my caloric intake by 250 calories.  I am also wondering if my recent “hyper” thyroid episode allowed me to increase intake without gaining weight and now that I am more balanced, the weight is going to come back.  I am still within my desired range, but it has been slowly creeping into dangerous territory.  I will incorporate these changes immediately for the next 3 days (the amount of time I feel I can realistically do this) and then re-evaluate the next time frame and extend that a day or two until I am not doing any of the behaviors within the next 2-3 weeks.  I have never been good at cold turkey, so I think this can work. 

No comments: