Saturday, November 27, 2010

Build Your Own Tabata

I decided to develop my own Tabata routine based on the exercises I have done or have seen suggested.  Using my Gymboss, I set my intervals for 20/10 for eight rounds for each exercise.  Here is what I did:

  • Speed Squat
  • Plank Split (using step, plank formation then step out to each side)
  • Split Jump (using small step)
  • Jacknife/Roll Out (had to use Valslides)
  • Bulgarian Split Squat - Dead Lift Variation using step
  • Plank Walk Up
  • Lateral Step (using step)
  • Pilates Series (I do 4 different Pilate core exercises 2x each)
  • Burpee
I tried to put in a big muscle exercise for cardio followed by a core exercise to allow for some rest.  It was a good workout but as I have mentioned before, it is easier to stay motivated with a class and instructor.  Additionally, I didn't have music which can be helpful as long as the beat is high.  If the beat is moderate it is too easy to match movement to the beat and lower the intensity of the routine.  I think I can tailor this to complement my normal routines and modify as I see fit.

No comments: