Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Hybrid Workout for the Next Few Weeks

As mentioned in my podcast, the amount of information about fitness and workouts specifically is enormous so I try to stay with just a couple of sources.  Even then, it is overwhelming.  So, to keep from getting behind the the collection of information, I will start doing "hybrid" workouts--a combination of 2 or more structured workouts--to maintain my interest.  With that in mind, the following workout is a combination of 1) Lose the Last 10 pounds (Men's Health) workout, 2) Spartacus Workout (again, Men's Health), 3) Finishers/Tabata (Dos Remedios, Ballantyne, Cosgrove), and HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training). 

Workout A (was done on Monday)
Standard 3 sets, repetitions decreasing 10-8-6 with increasing weight.  Finish each superset before going to the next one:
  • Dumbbell Split Squat/Forward Lunge
  • Barbell Romanian Dead Lift/Dumbbell Push Press
  • Push Up-Plank Walk Up/Chin Up (assisted)
  • Finisher - Step Up Tabata Style (20 seconds of work/10 seconds of rest for 8 rounds)
  • Cardio-Stair climber, Level 12 60 seconds rest/60 seconds work for 9 rounds
I worked on pushing heavier weight and it makes a big difference on the workout.  I have become a little complacent with pushing myself on the weights.  The Tabata routines or timed sets are helpful in doing this but if I don't make the right weight choice, it can be a wasted workout for muscle growth. 

By the way, if anyone is checking out my blog, you don't have to have the same kind of workout I do to get results.  It depends on your fitness level.  I have be working out my whole life so it would make sense that I would be doing more advanced routines.  If you have just started, doing any physical activity at least 30 minutes a day is great!  Walking is the easiest and most convenient activity--don't worry about the weights or anything else, just get more active.  You will advance quickly and be able to do other things that may be of interest to you later.

No comments: