Thursday, May 28, 2009

Strength Tip # 3 Consistently Increase Your Weight

In order to make strength gains you must consistently increase your weight. The increase doesn't have to be tremendous but it does have to increase steadily. I use a volume approach for a whole workout--this allows me to increase maybe only one exercise or even just one set and it still increases the total volume of the workout. For example, I may have done 4 x 4 of pull-ups for a volume of 16, next week I only have to do 1 more pull up to increase the volume for that exercise (it would be 17 instead of 16). Similarly, that could be the only exercise I increase that day but it still ends up being an increase in total weight. I know this sounds tiny but when you get to the point where you have reached maximum weights, these small increments really do add up over time.

No comments: