Saturday, June 6, 2009

Low Sodium/Low Cholesterol

Well--I reviewed some of the foods I normally eat that I may need to find another choice because of their sodium and fat:
  • Salted Peanuts and Peanut Butter (go with different nuts, change to low-sodium peanut butter or minimize servings)
  • Stay away from pickles and olives
  • Ready-made salad dressings
  • Red meat (eat more chicken, beans, etc.)
  • Chips -- go with whole wheat crackers/pita
  • Ice Cream -- lower amount weekly
  • Canned items (primarily tomatoes or pasta sauce) or processed food items (pretzels, cookies) -- replace with fresh vegetables/fruits as much as possible.
Although there are many other high sodium/high fat items, I don't tend to eat them but I do the ones above. So, for the next few weeks I will log in the sodium content of the foods I am eating and work on staying below 2000 mg.

No comments: