Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Rework Cardio to Accommodate Injury

As mentioned in my audio post, I injured my right calf muscle because: 1) I participated in an activity (shoveling gravel, laying bricks, etc.) that I hadn't physically prepared for, and 2) I did not warm-up appropriately for my treadmill intervals. So my cardio program will change for the foreseeable future to incorporate longer warm-ups, more gradual increases in interval speed, and longer cool-down and stretching. There will be some minor changes to my strength program to integrate working on the calf muscles and increasing their strength. When they get better I will work in some inclines with my treadmill workouts to keep them in shape. MTh I will be moving to a different circuit; starting with a warm-up round with light weights and 12-15 repetitions and then follow that with 3 more rounds at progressively heavier weights--working 10/8/6. The exercises will be:
  • Lunges
  • Romanian Dead Lifts
  • Bent Rows
  • Clean and Press
I will keep doing my Martial Arts circuit on TuFri and then a core workout on WSat. Then we will start the 6-month evaluation process.

No comments: