Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Another Change Up to Address Motivation/Injury

This week I have altered my workout to accommodate my lower motivation as well as my calf injury. My strength resistance sessions remain the same 15 minute workout described last week. My cardio will vary with the following guidelines:

  • Running workouts are going to follow the "David Beckham" structure. For the next two weeks my 2 running sessions will be moderately intense. This means I will be increasing to a 35 minute session with a 5 minute warm-up and cool-down and a series of 5-minute runs at 75% MHR (220-50 = 170 x .75 = 127) followed by whatever time it takes for my heart rate to get to 60% MHR = 102. This means I will be running at a 9 minute mile pace for 5 minutes followed by a 10 1/2 minute mile pace for 1-2 minutes. I will do this until my 30 minutes are up. This will help me build some endurance and keep my calf safe for now.
  • I will be doing a stair mill session once a week using a modified interval plan for 20 minutes to strengthen my thighs, calves, hips, and rear as well as working my heart.
  • I will be doing a stair master session using an Alwyn Cosgrove routine performing intervals with 1 minute as fast as a I can with a 2 minute recovery (that's one round) for 6 rounds. This workout will also include a 5 minute warm-up and cool down.
  • Finally, long slow distance on the bicycle (60 minutes at 65-70% MHR)
I recently purchased a set of yoga cards and will be starting consistent evening yoga sessions--regardless of how long or how many, I will do some type of yoga/stretching each evening as well as bringing back my casual walks around the neighborhood. After moving, the habit of walking in the evening didn't transfer -- so, I need to make a concerted effort to bring this back to my daily routine. Again, I don't have to be perfect but trying to get even a small amount of this done each day is better than not doing it at all.

No comments: