Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Training More Like a Guy

I have always trained more like a guy than a gal--exercises typical of men's training routines versus women's (squats, deadlifts, push-up, pull-ups, etc.) but until today I never seriously considered training just like a guy. Meaning, the same type of weights and weight progressions. Monday, I decided to try this with my varying set/reps/weight program starting with my 2 sets of 12. It was hard for me to move toward the heavier weights--even though I could do them! My strategy is to use increasing overall volume -- meaning my squats on Wednesday (4x6 heavy) have to be significantly heavier than my squats on Monday (2x12) and Friday (3x8) is somewhere in between. I did 35lb plates without an issue, so I am assuming I could do anywhere from 55-65 on Wednesday (with adequate warm-up). I am only doing 6 exercises so I think it is safe to assume I can recover in time for the next work-out. If not, I will rework my schedule next week.

No comments: