- Running workouts are going to follow the "David Beckham" structure. For the next two weeks my 2 running sessions will be moderately intense. This means I will be increasing to a 35 minute session with a 5 minute warm-up and cool-down and a series of 5-minute runs at 75% MHR (220-50 = 170 x .75 = 127) followed by whatever time it takes for my heart rate to get to 60% MHR = 102. This means I will be running at a 9 minute mile pace for 5 minutes followed by a 10 1/2 minute mile pace for 1-2 minutes. I will do this until my 30 minutes are up. This will help me build some endurance and keep my calf safe for now.
- I will be doing a stair mill session once a week using a modified interval plan for 20 minutes to strengthen my thighs, calves, hips, and rear as well as working my heart.
- I will be doing a stair master session using an Alwyn Cosgrove routine performing intervals with 1 minute as fast as a I can with a 2 minute recovery (that's one round) for 6 rounds. This workout will also include a 5 minute warm-up and cool down.
- Finally, long slow distance on the bicycle (60 minutes at 65-70% MHR)
Tuesday, June 30, 2009
Sunday, June 28, 2009
Friday, June 26, 2009
Thursday, June 25, 2009
Tuesday, June 23, 2009
- Romanian Dead Lifts
- Bent Rows
- Clean and Press
Monday, June 22, 2009
Saturday, June 20, 2009
Thursday, June 18, 2009
Tuesday, June 16, 2009
Sunday, June 14, 2009
Saturday, June 13, 2009
- Judo Push up (I just do a regular push-up)
- Crossover Step up (a nice change of pace from regular step ups)
- Leaning Shoulder Fly (I have some rotator cuff issues)
- Medicine Ball Pike Up (core)
- Mixed-Grip Chin (breaking my plateau)
- Swiss-Ball Squat (killer on the quads)
- Around-the-head Plate Drill (great all around upper body)
- Boxer's Dumbbell Speed Twist (core)
Again, I love switching things around -- so these all work for me. You can keep the same workout for up to 6 weeks but make sure you change some aspect of your workout to keep your body guessing.
Thursday, June 11, 2009
Tuesday, June 9, 2009
- Dumbbell Swing
- Squat and Press
- Row and Twist
You can find videos and instructions at www.menshealth.com/15workout
During the 2 minute rest period after each circuit, I did 2 stretches (one upper body, one lower body) and was able to complete 2 circuits and stretches in 15 minutes!
Monday, June 8, 2009
Saturday, June 6, 2009
- Salted Peanuts and Peanut Butter (go with different nuts, change to low-sodium peanut butter or minimize servings)
- Stay away from pickles and olives
- Ready-made salad dressings
- Red meat (eat more chicken, beans, etc.)
- Chips -- go with whole wheat crackers/pita
- Ice Cream -- lower amount weekly
- Canned items (primarily tomatoes or pasta sauce) or processed food items (pretzels, cookies) -- replace with fresh vegetables/fruits as much as possible.