Friday, August 22, 2008

A Common Sense Approach

Once you have reached your health or fitness goals, maintenance becomes the ongoing challenge. Consider the upcoming holidays and the obstacles to maintaining both your physical and nutritional goals. Most folks will venture down to the beach or some other "get-out-of-town" destination which normally doesn't have your regular supports for fitness (home, gym, work-out buddies) or nutrition (boardwalk fries, beer, and ice cream cones). So what can you do? You can throw up your hands and say it's a special occasion; but making too many exceptions to the rule can result in backsliding. I try and take a common sense approach by planning ahead and making sure I do something active and fun while on holiday and pace my eating so I can indulge a small amount. Upon returning home, I get right back into my routine which will start to off-set the minimal damage done. Getting use to being active and eating right doesn't mean you can't have fun!

No comments: