Monday, August 4, 2008

Doing More Doesn't Necessarily Lead to Better Results

I have struggled for a long time with my workout routines. I start off with 8-10 exercises, maybe 12-15 repetitions for 2-3 sets for all major movements. Then I'll add another exercise I read about and maybe some additional core exercises and possibly movement preparation and before you know it I am already in the gym an hour and I haven't even done my cardiovascular work! It was hard for me to realize that I was adding more exercises but not adding more value to my routine. As I get older there is a fine line between doing enough (to maintain strength, cardiovascular fitness, balance, and flexibility) and doing too much (injuries leading to extended layoffs, over training leading to physical stress and poor sleep). This is a concept known in business as "diminishing returns". At some point in a business putting more money into the process doesn't continue to produce the corresponding profits, basically you end up breaking even. The same applies to working out, at some point doing more doesn't give you any more results for the time you put into it. What I finally settled on was a 3 day a week full body routine with no more than 6 exercises. To increase the effectiveness and efficiency of the exercises I have chosen compound moves and do super sets between upper and lower body movements. On strength day, I warm up with movements that prepare me for the strength exercises, and then end the strength routine with some stretching. On the alternate days I do my cardiovascular work (a mix of interval routines on my favorite machines) and my core work, plus some stretching. This keeps my gym time to under 45 minutes, and gets me off to work in about an hour. I supplement this with my normal activities of gardening, home projects, evening walks, and weekend hikes. This seems to hit a balance that works for me and can be flexible -- I can work out as much as 6 times/week or as little as 3 times/week and still reap significant benefits. Anyone can make an efficient and effective workout routine that takes under 30 minutes daily with a little effort and thought; check out the local library for information and always check with your physician before starting any exercise program.

No comments: