Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Small Change in Workout

I am keeping the same workout this week but using a different format to help in the transition to the next phase. Rather than doing super sets of the exercises, I am doing them in a circuit. My reading and research continues to suggest that circuit training is the best way to burn fat and build muscle. Although these concepts are diametrically opposed in principle, there is a way to manage both but as you would suspect the results will be less dramatic in each of the areas (weight loss and muscle mass). The trick is to hit the right balance where you don't rest between exercises, but the resistance is heavy enough to build muscle; circuit training accomplishes this. So, here are the changes for Wednesday:

Supersets: Dumbbell Split Squat 3x8/Single Arm Press 3x12
Dumbbell Romanian Dead Lift 2 x 10/Dumbbell Swing 2x20

Transition the same exercises to a circuit (I do three circuits with increasing repetitions - 8/10/12)

If I can get through the 12 repetition circuit, I move the weight up next time by about 5%. I will apply this technique to all my resistance workouts for this week and next in anticipation of moving on to the combo phase.

No comments: