Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Taking It Easy This Week

As I mentioned in my audio post, I think I may be over-training. My motivation has been progressively waning, my sleep hasn't been consistent, I am continuously looking for my next meal, I am experiencing some fatigue, etc. So this week, rather than move right into my next phase of training, I am going to take it down a notch or two this week. I will do my stair-master workout 2x this week at a much lower level, keeping under 30 minutes. My running will go up to 3x this week but they will be easy runs or walk/runs. My workout will be a medicine ball circuit (1 set of 10 at a fairly light weight) on M-W-F and the other days just some core work and stretching. The medicine ball workout is a variation on strength exercises that appear in Chris Carmichael's book 5 Essentials for a Winning Life and is as follows:

  • Lateral Arm Raises
  • Chest Press
  • Pick-Up
  • Sit-Up
  • Solo Twist
  • Squat
  • Wall Touch
  • Overhead Pass
  • Overhead Reverse Lunge and Press
  • Overhead Squat
  • Squat and Press
  • Curl and Press
  • Walking Overhead Lunge
All of the above were done with a 4 lb medicine ball -- for descriptions of the exercise you will need to check out Carmichael's book (or check online by searching for "medicine ball exercises"). I am doing just enough to keep my metabolism up and my muscles ready for the next week. I will re-evaluate at the end of the week, but I think I will be ready for Phase Two of my 9-week workout.

No comments: