Saturday, July 25, 2009

Group Personal Training Class

I went to review the class I am to take in two weeks and it seemed very foreign to me. My background is competitive athletics, not dance, so anything choreographed seems silly. Yet, my workouts are a form of choreography and could be adapted. Music has never been a mainstay of my workouts rather more of a nuisance that I tolerated in the gym. Yet my sets and reps do seem to have their own cadence. The challenge is doing what is natural for my fitness personality within a framework that will work for the participants. My warm-up will probably not be "aerobic" dance movements but more dynamic stretching movements (i.e. calisthenics) and my cool-down will rely heavily on yoga-type movements. The strength moves will reflect my bias to do compound exercises in a circuit versus doing high repetitions of one type of move. Another challenge is keeping the timing right so I can get all the exercises in during a specific time frame. Again, I manage to get in 2-3 circuits of 4-5 exercises done in 15 minutes so linking circuits together may work. The final challenge is keeping the participants engaged. I don't have any problem when I am on my own or working one-on-one but with a group if they lose interest it can be a very long class. I am not much of a "drill sargent" or a "rah-rah" type so I will probably rely on being an "educator" and making sure form and technique are clean. I don't look forward to this foray into uncharted territory but I will tolerate the anxiety and hopefully learn something new.

No comments: