Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Warm Up Does Double Duty

My current strength workout includes a warm-up set prior to increasing the weight. According to Men's Health June 2009 Muscle Bulletin, my warm-up can also improve my form. People who added weight to each set showed better movement patterns than those who performed all their sets at the same weight. The warm-up may help increase awareness and enhance performance. I have been doing a warm-up set of about 12 repetitions at 50% of my target weight and then move up over the next 4 rounds to meet the target weight. This allows me time to make adjustments to form and to determine the next best progression. Yesterday, I was able to increase 2.5 lbs each set for all exercise but I won't be able to do that in the next progression. This means having multiple barbells to switch back and forth so I can maintain the rhythm of the circuit. Give the warm-up set a try and see if you don't see some improvement in both form and strength.

No comments: