Saturday, March 27, 2010

A Different Approach to Clean Eating

Sometimes I get too detailed in what I eat when a bigger picture may be more helpful.  With that in mind, I am going to start an eight-week progressive plan to strip body fat.  Phase one will be “cleaning up” my eating.  Back to a food log so I get a good idea of my “true” calories, not just I think I ate.  After I calculate my baseline and maintenance needs, I will start some basic shifts in my eating habits.  So, I will keep my calorie intake at maintenance level (I will get back to you on this next week) while considering my worst dietary habits.  Since I eat fairly clean right now, I need to focus on the small tweaks--

  • Fast food isn’t an issue but I do tend to eat extra protein bars that can add 250 calories without thought; I will substitute these with real food alternatives that will typically be only 150 calories
  • I eat plenty of fruits and vegetables but I could stress the fiber content of all foods I eat to get some of the same results
  • I don’t eat lots of sweets (usually ice cream 2 times a week) so this area is off limits for now
  • I don’t skip meals, however, I can move to a 5 meal per day to keep from overeating at breakfast/lunch/dinner
  • Although not officially part of the cleaning phase, removing alcohol is probably a necessity.  The added calories are empty and although it is enjoyable, I don’t need to have it nightly.  I will start with a no-alcohol Monday-Thursday and see how that goes.

I will check in next week with my baseline calories, my maintenance calories, highlights of my food journal as well as cleaning techniques I have developed during the week.

 

Technorati Tags:

No comments: