Friday, January 7, 2011

Density Training

I am starting 2011 off with a combination of training methods; Density Training and Kettlebell Training.

Density Training:  According to Robert Dos Remedios, CSCS, density trainig is a complete hybrid of both metabolic training and strength training.  The loads are in the strength training ranges bu the pace of the training builds work capacity and fitness.

Circuit Set-Up:  Based on Charles Staley's work, the following rules set up your density sessions.
  1. Choose five exercises from the following exercise groups-explosive, knee dominant alternating with hip dominant, upper body push, upper body pull, and core.
  2. Pick a weight you can do 10-12 repetition maximum.
  3. Move from exercise to exercise in a circuit format
  4. Move as fast as you can taking rest as you need to; your goal is to get as close to averaging a set per minute as you can.
Exercise Menu:  You choose an exercise from each of the menu categories and then decide on the amount of weight you want to use.  Start with 10-, 15-, or 20-minute sessions to see how many sets you can complete in this time period--the goal is to complete a set per minute on average.  Keep track of your sets and alter your loads based on how many sets you are able to complete on subsequent density workouts. 

Although Coach Dos had four favorite combinations, I choose my own combination and will share this with you in my next post.  I will start with 10-minute sessions followed by my current Super Basic Kettlebell Workout.  I have progressed in both weight and time (45 sec work/15 sec rest) on that particular circuit.  I am keeping my density workouts short while doing dual workouts and will lengthen them to 20-minutes when they become my solo workout.

No comments: