Sunday, February 22, 2009

Cardiovascular Changes with Age and Exercise

It is very interesting to see how quickly I reach my maximum heart rate now that I am over 50. I work pretty hard on the stairmaster but as soon as I get to the treadmill my heart rate is high even if I am only doing a 10 minute mile. Because I rarely to the stationary bike, it takes more for me to reach my maximum heart rate but I can reach my "light" cardio goals easily. Most of this is related to my lack of cross-training and my aging. I have gotten very "fit" for using the stairmaster but not very "fit" for using the treadmill or stationary bicycle. I will continue to do the cross-training with an emphasis on improving my treadmill fitness while maintaining my stairmaster fitness and use cycling and walking as recovery activities. Maybe next year I can work on incorporating the cycling.

No comments: