Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Staying Active on Vacation

I am still in Florida and alas, the weather is not so good--sunny yes but cool temperatures and high winds don't make it beach weather. Despite that, I managed a 32 mile bike ride one day, a 8 mile hike another day and a couple of workouts at the resort fitness center. You have to be very adaptable because you can't just transfer your normal routine to a new and unknown gym. At the resort gym the cardio machines are different and their calibration is more sensitive. They have some of the same machines but the free weights are limited and there is no squat rack or pull up bar. So you make do and put together a make shift workout that hits all the major muscles but certainly doesn't replicate your usual workout. On vacation you are not looking to increase workout intensity just maintain what you have gained. I am also staying fairly true to my eating program with the exception of some alcohol but I keep my other simple carbs down throughout the day and my activity level has actually been higher this week. All in all not too bad. Luckily, my track record for vacations has been very good and most of the time I lose weight, not gain.

No comments: