Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Goal Setting For Success

In order to reach any goal, you need to make sure they are SMART. SMART is an acronym for the following five components:
  1. Specific: Make each goal specific and give the reasons for the goal (why it is a priority or has value to you). For example, rather than saying I want to lose weight I would say I want to lose 5 pounds. The reason: I am hoping to maintain or lower some of my health numbers (cholesterol, blood pressure, etc.).
  2. Measurable: The point of setting "measurable" goals is making sure that you can tell, weekly or monthly, whether you are making progress or whether you need to adjust what you are doing. So with the above goal of losing 5 pounds, if I don't start seeing some progress after a month, then I may have to reassess what I am doing.
  3. Action-oriented: There needs to be behaviors or action to reach your goal. So for me to lose 5 pounds I can't just keep doing the same old thing--or I would have already lost the 5 pounds. So my plan is to increase my activity level and lower my calorie intake (this will also need to be more specific and measurable).
  4. Realistic: Is losing 5 pounds possible for me or am I over-reaching? Based on my current weight, height, age, and gender it should be possible for me to lose 5 pounds especially if allow for enough time.
  5. Time stamped: Putting a deadline on your goals helps tie together all the other components and provides an opportunity for establishing a commitment.
In addition to the above 5 components for each goal there are different types of goals to establish as circumstances change--so next time I will develop my goals using the SMART method and then identify the types of goals for the coming year.

No comments: