Monday, March 9, 2009

Core Versus Abdominals

I typically do strength training on M-W-F and then do my core work on T-Th. Core exercises are quite different than just doing abdominal exercises. Abdominal muscles are just one set of muscles within the core; the others are the lower back, hips and glutes. They work together to provide the stability, power, and endurance necessary for physical activity. Fortunately, a quality core workout doesn't require a lot of time or equipment--just a few moves you do in correct form and consistently. So I can get a good core workout for about 15 minutes on those 2 days. Although my baseline measurements are in the 95 percentile for my age, the assessment only evaluates my abdominal muscles. In order for me to set goals, I will need to find additional ways to measure progress in the other areas--lower back, hips, and glutes--and what exercises I need to be doing to improve these. For now, I will be using a medicine ball core workout circuit developed for the UNC and then do more research.

No comments: