Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Strength Training Goals for 2009

My baseline measures for strength put me at the top of my age group so my back up goal is easier to develop first--I will stay at the 95 percentile for my age group in strength. For a long-term goal I will pick some specific items as my overall condition is high. So, my long-term goal for strength training in 2009 will be the following: To do 3 sets of 10 pull-ups with no assistance; to squat 150% of my body weight (165 lbs). Since I have some shoulder issues, I need to modify my goal for push-ups and dips (if I can do 1 set of 10 marine-style push-ups/dips I will be satisfied). My short-term goal will be to improve my current number of pull-ups by 1 each month (I am doing 3 sets of 5 right now) with some recovery time built in and/or exercises to shore up weaknesses (grip strength, forearm strength); increase my squat weight by 5-10% each week, and to do rehab exercises for my shoulders. My immediate goal is to find rehab exercises for my shoulders and build those into my workout routine on off days. Since I tend to get bored with strength routines quickly, I will adopt an undulating type of workout rotating easy, moderate and difficult training sessions. This may sound difficult but it only means I switch type and number of exercises, number of sets and repetition in a systematic way. I will evaluate my strength training plan in 3 months and see if I am on target for reaching my goals.

YWeight?: My Goals for 2009

No comments: