Monday, March 16, 2009

Fitness Posture

Whether you are doing a cardio activity, strength training, or core work you need to be aware of posture. Poor technique not only increases your chance of injury but also affects your posture and maintains muscle imbalances. Most men tend to work hard on "mirror muscles" and the result is rounded shoulders; women tend to have poor muscle tone through the mid-section resulting in slouching and a visible "tummy". So, I make an effort to reset my posture each time I do a repetition and have someone review any new exercise and give me feedback about technique. I do this with the cardio machines as well--staying erect on the stairmaster, using good running/walking technique on the treadmill, and setting up the stationary bicycle correctly. It doesn't make much sense to spend time getting fit if it doesn't also improve your posture.

No comments: