Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Body Composition/Nutrition Goals for 2009

A couple of months ago I did some baseline measurements to use for my 2009 goals. At that time, I wanted to lose 5 lbs and increase my lean muscle versus my fat. Well, without doing anything structured I have lost the 5 lbs and need to rework my goal. I am already within a healthy weight range for my height and age, my body fat is also within a normal range. I am coming up to my annual physical and this will help determine other health numbers (cholesterol, blood pressure, etc.). My diet is fairly balanced with very small amounts of processed foods, bad fats with a good amount of fresh vegetables and fruits daily. My meat consumption is a little high and I need to find other appropriate options for my protein intake. My normal meals include grilled meat and salad with very little carbohydrates so I may need to pull in some more high-grade multi-grain products and continue to stay away from the starchy carbs such as pasta and rice. I anticipate increasing both eggs, beans, fish, and nuts to off-set the animal protein I have been eating. My big vice is dairy products--half and half in my morning coffee and an occasional cup of ice cream. I may need to do a more detailed analysis to find some specific items to modify or change. I am still working on the 6-8 glasses of water per day, so this can be an immediate goal for now. A back-up goal would be to maintain my current weight for 2009. Long-term goal would be to lose 5 lbs; short-term goal would be to decrease my animal protein and increase alternative protein options.

No comments: