Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Update on Cardio-Intervals

I decided I needed to monitor my heart rate this week to determine my interval workload. Well, I was pretty surprised to find out that I was working almost 100% of my HR. Depending on your goal, 100% or higher really isn't necessary. I didn't reach that until my fourth interval and I was up to 168 bpm. So I have decided to stay on this particular routine but to lower my recovery level so that by my fourth interval I am closer to 85-90% which is plenty. Once this routine reaches consistency--where I am at 85-90% during high interval and about 70-85% on recovery, I can either step it up a notch or move to a different interval program. One great thing about this tough interval is it makes my running much easier and my heart rate lower despite my decreasing mile time--I am now at a 9:20 pace. If you don't know much about using a heart rate monitor watch the video at the top of my blog.

No comments: