Tuesday, April 7, 2009

New Interval Program

I found my new interval program in Prevention magazine and it is a 3-part metabolism-boosting plan. You start with a 5 minute warm-up at RPE 3 and work up to RPE 6 (based on a 1-10 scale, 1 being easy and 10 as hard). For the next 3 minutes you go to a brisk pace (somewhere between 7-8) then 2 minutes at a moderate pace (between 5-6) and then 2 minutes at a face pace (9). Then you do a 2-minute moderate/2-minute fast interval 3 more times. After the interval section you return to a moderate (5-6) pace for 2 minutes, back to brisk (7-8) for 2 minutes and finally a 2 minute cool-down (level 3) for the final 2 minutes. Since this is a new program, it will take me a few times to get the levels right for me, so it won't be in place for a few more days. This is pretty similar to what I was doing except there is an extended warm-up and cool-down. I really like all the Rodale publications for information and usually take and modify their routines frequently. The magazines are Prevention, Men's Health, Women's Health, and Runner's World.

No comments: