Saturday, January 3, 2009

Assessing Your Health History

Now that I know I am ready and capable of maintaining an exercise routine, I need to have a better idea of what my physical limitations may be based on my health history. Most personal trainers and physicians use a health history questionnaire or a PAR-Q (Physical Activity Readiness-Questionnaire). This helps determine whether you need medical clearance to start an exercise program. Based on my answers, there is nothing to prevent me from participating in a moderate to vigorous exercise program. There are family health issues to consider and monitor--my father died from a heart attack at age 64 and both my brother and sister are overweight and have high blood pressure. I have an annual physical and my numbers (cholesterol, blood pressure, resting heart rate, weight, etc.) are all within normal range. I do have a thyroid condition which is being treated with medication but this has no effect on my ability to exercise nor does it impact my heart rate. I had major knee surgery back in 1978, so this will dictate some of the exercises I can do and at what intensity. Overall, my physical assessment indicates I can continue my current program without problems. My next step will be to determine my fitness level. I will do this by evaluating each component of "fitness" and then establish a baseline. This will help me in determining goals and how to measure my progress and will also give me guidance on designing my program for optimal results.

No comments: