Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Consider Substitution

When doing my food diary I noticed a few items that I may need to monitor if I want to keep my girlish figure. As I mentioned in another post, I tend to like refined carbohydrates because of my sweet tooth. Rather than eat my home-made candy (sorry, it was easy to make and delicious) I will try some of the in-season fruit such as pears, apples (baked with cinnamon) and grapes. I don't need to substitute every time but if I start now it will be easier as time goes on. Luckily, when I do splurge, I maintain portion control. Another area for substitution is crackers, chips, and other snacks made with trans fat. Again, I don't normally eat potato chips (reduced fat by the way) or tortilla chips but when I have a craving for that type of crunch, I have replaced my chips with toasted pita bread (wheat not white) and that works well. Obviously, there are some foods that just can't be replaced, such as pecan pie with vanilla ice cream, but I plan when and how much I am going to eat. Life is to be enjoyed and can be in moderation. It is when we go to excess that trouble begins.

No comments: