Tuesday, January 20, 2009

You Are What You Eat

Now that I have a good amount of data about my activity level, I need to look at my eating and nutrition. Eventually, all of this information will be used to decide what goals I would like to set for the year but until then, I will not modify too much of my current lifestyle until the evaluation is complete. To get a good idea of my eating patterns I am going to keep a food diary. To make this as simple as possible, I am going to log in just the type of food I eat (rather than specifics) and how much of the plate they take up. I will also log the time, location, and my mood. These basics will give me an idea of the amount of each food category (meat, dairy, etc.) I eat and portions as well as how often and why I might eat. Although I don't have a weight problem, I may need to be conscientious about my nutritional needs as I get older to help avoid certain health issues. I need to keep the food diary for a minimum of 3 days (preferably 2 weekdays and a 1 weekend day) but I will try for a full week. In addition, I will use a number of questionnaires regarding my eating style to see if there may be potential issues in the future. I am not a registered dietitian nor a nutritionist, but I can make some decisions about my food intake without professional help by using a number of resources. I will check in periodically and provide a review of my efforts in my next Gabcast.

No comments: