Sunday, January 4, 2009

Optimum Fitness

According to the American Council on Exercise, optimum fitness is a condition resulting from a lifestyle that develops cardiovascular endurance, muscular strength, flexibility, as well as the maintenance of appropriate body weight. So at this stage I am going to measure some of these components to identify my baseline. Since I don't have sophisticated equipment (skin-fold, hydrostatic weighing, bio-electrical impediment) to test body composition, I am going to use the tools I have at home--the scale and a measuring tape. As a general measurement I am going to use a height/weight table as well as a body mass index (BMI). If I use the standard height/weight table I am in the normal range for a woman of my height and build (5'2" 120 lbs). According to the BMI, again I am within normal weight. Since I have my hip (36") and waist measurements (27"), I can do a ratio (WHR) that will estimate the risk associated with abdominal obesity (diabetes, hypertension, cholesterol); that measurement indicates I am not at risk. So, overall my weight doesn't appear to be a health issue at this time. However, weight maintenance is key as I grow older and I should establish a range that keeps me healthy. This needs to be kept in mind when I go to design my fitness program and my nutritional strategy. The next stage will be to evaluate my cardiovascular fitness--see you on the treadmill!

No comments: