Saturday, January 24, 2009

What Gets Measured Gets Managed

Even though I don't see one of my possible 2009 goals as losing weight, I do envision a need for data about how to maintain my weight. Again, I can use a number of calculators that appear online to determine the number of calories I need to maintain my weight and the nutritional make-up for my diet. Based on my weight, age, gender and activity level the following are suggestions for my daily needs:

To maintain my weight I need to consume 1923 calories daily
The recommended distribution is 288 grams carbohydrate, 48 grams protein, and 64 grams of fat.
The recommended daily amounts of key vitamins and minerals are 2400 mg sodium, 1200 mg calcium, 200 mg cholesterol, 10 mcg vitamin d, 75 mg vitamin c, 8 mg iron, 400 mcg folate, and 2.4 mcg B12

Remember these are guidelines and are not necessarily specific to my situation. I can use this information with other data to come up with a plan unique to me.

If you need additional support in assessing your dietary and exercise quality or if you are pressed for time, go to www.mypyramidtracker.gov. This tool will help to identify strengths and weaknesses you may miss. You only need to put in one representative day for the assessment.

No comments: