Monday, January 5, 2009

Cardio, Strength and Flexibility

Yesterday I went to the gym and did a self-assessment for both cardiovascular and strength components. I used a treadmill and heart monitor for the cardiovascular evaluation and then used the gym equipment and stop-watch for the strength assessments. Based on the results, my cardiovascular rating as expressed by an estimated oxygen capacity is superior for my age. My strength was measured by doing a maximum repetition on the leg press (lower body) and bench press, timed repetitions on the bench press and push-ups (upper body), and timed half-sit-up for abdominals. All of these resulted in excellent or superior status (95 percentile for my age group). A number of flexibility measures indicate that I have good truck flexion, adequate hamstring and hip flexor flexibility but poor shoulder flexibility. Based on this data, I should continue maintaining my current cardiovascular, strength and flexibility training (while monitoring my knee; I had major surgery in 1978) with emphasis on improving my shoulder flexibility and also increasing the strength of my small rotator muscles in my shoulder. In addition, I should focus on improving my posture and balance (as with most things, it may deteriorate as you age). All of these considerations need to be weighed to create an efficient yet comprehensive exercise program. The next phase is to review my exercise history, activity preferences, and time constraints so I can craft a routine that will work with my daily schedule, maintain my interest, and be pleasurable.

No comments: