Friday, January 23, 2009

Food Log Results

Keeping a food log provides objective data for your review. Based on my food intake log for the week I found out a number of things:

  • It would be a good idea for me to drink more water
  • Although I need to eat breakfast, it can be smaller and still be enough to fuel my workouts; if I need more food I can have something after my workout
  • Salads are king!
  • I couldn't live without my gas grill
  • Candy and ice cream, in limited amounts, are ok
  • Stay away from processed foods, chips, and/or high starch carbohydrates
  • Alcohol disturbs my sleep
Although I don't have a "weight" issue, I don't want the calories I do consume to be low in nutrition, thus the decision to eliminate alcohol, maintain/increase my salad intake, and decrease my candy and ice cream. Other patterns have to do with socializing and increased eating. As long as I can control the eating environment (not eating out) I can maintain my nutrition. As soon as I go out to restaurants that control becomes diminished and the likelihood of overeating is higher. This doesn't mean I can't socialize but it means I have to plan ahead. The percentage breakdown between protein, carbohydrates, and fats is within standard ranges set by the American Dietetic Association but my fats tend to be from animal products (all my dairy except ice cream is non-fat, other fats are good fats from olive oil or nuts), so I need to be aware of how much I eat of those foods throughout the week. Based on my overall self-assessment, my workout routine for cardio and strength has been working, however, I need to shore up my flexibility and general physical activity. My diet is pretty clean but could benefit from a more precise nutritional review and there may be a need to identify more strategies to address eating as part of socializing. So, with some minor changes I can keep doing what I have been doing but what will keep me motivated?

No comments: